These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Safty 1st Yellow Corvette
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

claudios2000

Union
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  09:36:11  Show Profile
Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and want to tell everyone, just by reading some of your posts, that you guys are great and super helpfull for newbies like me. Great community I must say!!

I just purchased a used Safty 1st yellow corvette for my daughter for a great price. The previous owner said the car ran fine last year and this year he can not get the car to run. I bought it anyway. It seems as if the battery is not charging. Once i plug in the charger, the led status on the charger never changes, as if the battery was not connected. I removed the battery from the car, and as I was picking it up, I heard noises inside the battery as if it was filled with rocks... Is this normal, of can the battery have dried up inside causing it not to charge? Any info will be helpful and much thanked for. If I need a new battery, i am assuming that i should convert to like a Power Wheels one..

Best,
Claudio

dasilva100
Journeyman Modder

Kitchener
ON
Canada

445 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:03:41  Show Profile
I have a safety first corvette and it's one of my favorites so far... Way much better quality than Power wheels...
It sounds like the battery has left outside during winter so now it's garbage... just to be sure check the voltage with a voltimeter. I can bet you have to buy a new one, but don't buy expensive PW batteries; check here where to buy it:
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=699
Afer you have your new battery just cut the connector in the car and put some isolated female spade connectors to connect the battery to the car. I did that with mine... also I put a 12v18Ah battery and it runs much better... The stock battery is 12Ah and the PW batteries are 9.5Ah... (more Ah (Amperes/hour) means more riding time)
Don't forget to put an inline fuse or braker to protect the car and the driver...
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=696
These cars have an electronic board that gets fried very easy... I hope yours is good... if not you can by-pass it, but first steep is a new battery.

Good luck and welcome to the site... take care, this is very addictive... I started with the same SF corvette seven months ago and so far I have had 33 ...

Here is a pic of mine (my sons):

Insert Image:

Edited by - dasilva100 on 07/26/2010 10:39:10
Go to Top of Page

turbokev
Senior Modder

Fremont
New Hampshire
USA

1283 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:42:01  Show Profile  Visit turbokev's Homepage
some people shy away from these Vettes due to potential circuit board failure..
But they are huge, have cool lights and sounds and look great.. Even smashed LOL~

Here's the 2 we've had:

Thanks,
Kev

18V Mustang v2.0 : 18V Mustang v1.0 : 12V Mustangs : 18V Gaucho Police
18V NASCAR : 12V Extreme Machines : 12V Hurricane Resto : 18V Mustang with Blower

Edited by - turbokev on 07/26/2010 10:42:28
Go to Top of Page

claudios2000

Union
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:56:54  Show Profile
Dasliva,

Thanks so much for your insight. I know for sure that the battery sat in the guys shed over the winter. He removed the battery and put the car in his basement so that the kids still had a radio... go figure.. haha The battery reads 4 volts and as i have the voltmeter connected, i can see the voltage dropping on the display. I must agree with you on it being a bad battery. Appearently, the car ran fine last year so hopefully the board is fine. I will order that same battery you have today. ITs not to pricey which is good! As far as charging, i am asuming i can use a standard battery charger like the one i charge my wave runner battery with... Its a slow charger, but i dont mind the wait.

33!!! I gues you have a garage just for these things!!! Your kid must love every one of them! I just hope its not a hobby as expensive as my RC one.. I have thousands of dollars invested on a few cars that just sit there now collecting dust!!

Thanks again for the help! I will keep you posted as to what happens with that new battery!

Claudio
Go to Top of Page

claudios2000

Union
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  10:59:01  Show Profile
Smashings just add value to these toys in my eyes!! hahaha!! Means the kids are enjoying them!!! and riding them to the end! Awesome looking toys!
Go to Top of Page

dasilva100
Journeyman Modder

Kitchener
ON
Canada

445 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  11:12:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by claudios2000

... 33!!! I gues you have a garage just for these things!!! ...

not only the garage... the basement, the backyard, neighbor's backyard but 33 is nothing.... there are some people around here with hundreds!!! yes hundreds of cars!!!
Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  12:25:28  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by claudios2000

Smashings just add value to these toys in my eyes!! hahaha!! Means the kids are enjoying them!!! and riding them to the end! Awesome looking toys!

How's this for enjoyed and ridden to the end?

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

turbokev
Senior Modder

Fremont
New Hampshire
USA

1283 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  12:47:01  Show Profile  Visit turbokev's Homepage
LOL.. that is AWESOME..

..almost worthy or "Mangler" status

Thanks,
Kev

18V Mustang v2.0 : 18V Mustang v1.0 : 12V Mustangs : 18V Gaucho Police
18V NASCAR : 12V Extreme Machines : 12V Hurricane Resto : 18V Mustang with Blower

Go to Top of Page

claudios2000

Union
NJ
USA

4 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2010 :  12:47:55  Show Profile
As long as it still runs, WHY NOT!! hahahaha poor thing has had its better days!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: