These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 My first Gaucho
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Haven't started doing anything yet. Not even sure if it works like the guy said. I'm going to test it tomorrow now that I have the Polaris completed.

Jozeppi gave me the courage I need to paint it. http://modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14387
I'm thinking purple metallic fleck with black trim.

I'm going to incorporate the ESC I got for the race car project (which I think will never be completed) and go 24v variable throttle.

I'll get under the hood and check things out tomorrow with some fresh batteries and we'll see where we're at from there.

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v

Edited by - CJB on 12/12/2009 21:46:36

sdubb
Senior Modder

1661 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:28:21  Show Profile
Isn't 24V to much even for the Guacho motors? I know you said you will use ESC which will help but just curious.

I think Grant stated this. I think he stated the older Guacho motors could handle the 24V.

Oh well just an observation.

"Time to take a ride on the information superhighway."
Go to Top of Page

Skelly
Journeyman Modder

Spring Grove
PA
USA

144 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  05:11:30  Show Profile
congrats on the Gaucho. You might as well stop working on the wranglers now. your kids will not ride them now.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  16:27:19  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
So I got a chance to check it out today. Works in Hi, but no low or reverse.

Also, a plesant surprise. I opened the hood to find a massive 12v 26ah battery. It's on the charger right now. I hope it takes.

64.25 KB

Found a few cracks in the plastic on the hood and on the rear bumper. I'll have a chance to try out that plast-aid stuff.

75.9 KB

40.99 KB

Also, I don't know much about how a Gaucho comes stock. Is this someone's attempt at adding a seperate brake pedal?

61.39 KB

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  16:46:51  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Also, I don't know much about how a Gaucho comes stock. Is this someone's attempt at adding a seperate brake pedal?

61.39 KB

No, that's a stock hole. The floor pan was originally designed for a seperate brake pedal, as on the A151 and Hi-Torque Gaucho's, which activated the drum brakes. I think some of the very early Grande's had a seperate brake pedal too.

The original pedal plate was wider and covered the hole for the brake pedal, but if the overhaul kit was added to the Gaucho, it came with a newer, more narrow pedal plate that didn't cover the hole. The old wider pedal plate used a DPDT momentary switch for the foot pedal switch, and the newer narrow plate uses the plunger style switch.

I don't have a picture handy of the front of the old plate, but here's a shot of the underside. The DPDT switch is installed in it, and the extra wide piece at the top of the picture would cover the brake pedal hole.

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
12V Lil Jeep, 18V Turbo Sun Jammer Jeep, 12V Super 6 F150 Blue Thunder,
18V Lightning McQueen & 12V Lightning McQueen w/Duratrax Motors (Sold)
18V Green & Blue Ninja Quads w/19T's, 18V Dora Quad with 21T's
12V Harley Bat Bike w/Duratrax Motors, 12V Pink Harley (Future Trike)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
RIP: 12V Super 6 Suzuki Quad w/Seperate Brake pedal (Decommissioned/Parted)

Edited by - gseric69 on 12/13/2009 16:52:30
Go to Top of Page

Jozeppi 70

35 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  17:37:52  Show Profile
Way to go CJB !! Cant wait to see the pics. It took me a week to get mine done. Couple hours each nite breaking her down and inventoring parts. A lot of the tabs were real brittle on the parts. Then it took a full day to paint it all, go slow and dont get frustrates.If you break a part a new one is only a couple bucks. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  18:25:42  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Like this? Found it in the battery compartment.

83.15 KB

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  18:27:52  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Thanks, Jozeppi. I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way. Thsi is a completely new platform for me.

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  20:32:43  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Like this? Found it in the battery compartment.

Yep, that's it!

36V Peg Perego Apache - Project: Super Power Police Jeep, 18V Metal Frame Jeep - Project: Sarge
Dragon/Craftsman Pickup Hybrid (WIP), 18V John Deere Off Road 4x4 (Gaucho, SOLD!)
Future Builds: 12V Xtreme Machine, 12V PW Fire Truck, 6V Wild Thing Super 6 & Mach 5
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  20:35:36  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sdubb

Isn't 24V to much even for the Guacho motors? I know you said you will use ESC which will help but just curious.

So... Has anyone had success with 24v and an ESC with these guys?

Go to Top of Page

gseric69

Red Lion
PA
USA

6315 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  21:09:26  Show Profile  Visit gseric69's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

So... Has anyone had success with 24v and an ESC with these guys?

Since that is an older Grande, it may have the RS-775SF motors in it, which will handle 18V great, and be pretty fast (maybe even faster than a PW motor on 24V).
But if they did the complete overhaul, they may have replaced them with the newer RS-755VC which are slower motors, and not as powerful.

I'd say the first step is to identify which motors you have.
Left: RS-775SF & Right: RS-755VC

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Define 'older'. I think the sitcker said 97 or 98.
I'll check the motors one of these days and take pics.

I bought a remote kill switch set-up today. Not because she needs it, but because, well, I haven't done that mod yet.

It's not looking too good for the monster battery. It only took 25%, but then again it was like... 8 degrees out. I brought it inside to warm up for a day or two then we'll try again. Who knows how long it's been sitting with no charge.

Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  06:44:59  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
YAY!! The monster battery took a full charge overnight.

Got my remote kill switch in the mail. Turns out it was from the same guy I got the digital voltage meter for the lil wrangler from.

92.07 KB

Headed out to WI this weekend for Christmases #1,2 and 3 at the in-laws. I'll be working on the xtreme machine out there in my down time. Only 4 more Christmases to go. Chloe makes out like a bandit, I tell ya.

Go to Top of Page

BradP
Apprentice Modder

Spudville
Minnesota
USA

64 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  07:34:23  Show Profile
I guess a bright side of my Divorce, is I have two Christmases. My mom and my dad's. No more in-laws for me! Gonna miss them though, most of them were pretty stand up people. Cant wait to see the progress on this rig.

Hoping one day I am lucky enough to find a Gaucho in MN too!!

1989 Super Bigfoot (stock)
lil' Quad (stock)
Red Silverado (stock) busted wheels
Offroad 4x4 (fog & tail lights) Christmas Gift 09
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  08:42:27  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Okay, so update on this:

Fixed the wheel hub slipping issue thanks to many here suggesting to snug them up. Removed the thermal breaker, and picked up some goodies at HF. Plans are (at this moment in time) purple. I do have a 24v esc laying around I might try to implement. Going to browse around and get some missing parts - gaucho side emblem, one mirror, rollbar lights, rear light lenses, etc. I may try working turn signals in here too. Sounds fun.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: