These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Udemy Course
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
 All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Xtreme Machine mild makeover
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  17:53:50  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
So my wife's mom's husband got a hold of an xtreme machine from a moving neighbor. All 4 tires were split in half, but other than that, it was in decent shape. No broken body parts or anything, and the battery seems like it'll work for a little while longer.

Plan on painting this summer, but for now, put in 19T GB's and got 4 new tires. Also added lights in the rollbar and tails and a chargeport. The rollbar lights have 8 10mm whites in each with a red lens I found at the surplus store. The chargeport is an old PC power connector/plug. I put in a SHO-ME flasher I had laying around, just... because. Installed a double throw switch to select from lights all-on or lights flashing.

70.44 KB

88.14 KB

80.78 KB

77.32 KB

94.62 KB

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Polaris 2X ; Polaris 700; Xtreme Machine ; 12v Super 6 Firerock
Gaucho Grande; Tinkerbell Ninja; 12v S6 Trail Rider; Brute Force 24v

BradP
Apprentice Modder

Spudville
Minnesota
USA

64 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  21:38:56  Show Profile
Nice, would you happen to have any pics of the back of those lights? I like how that is setup and would like to see how you have it wired up.

1989 Super Bigfoot (stock)
lil' Quad (stock)
Red Silverado (stock) busted wheels
Offroad 4x4 (fog & tail lights) Christmas Gift 09
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  16:19:58  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by BradP

Nice, would you happen to have any pics of the back of those lights? I like how that is setup and would like to see how you have it wired up.

It's not pretty...

82.01 KB

12V Lil Jeep; 24v Race Car Project (abandoned); Red Wrangler (WIP);18v Police Silverado
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  21:35:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJB
The chargeport is an old PC power connector/plug.

Did you use the 12v output of the power supply also, or just the plug with an on-board battery charger?

(pics link to threads)

Fast, Reliable, and Cheap... Pick any two.
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  09:05:51  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
I hacked up the grey cable and attached it to a Schumacher.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
Journeyman Modder

West Palm Beach
Florida
USA

153 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:13:52  Show Profile
I actualy do use the IEC sockets as well but i contect it to the chargers and secure the chargers inside the PW and hard wire everything in. So my customers just have to plug a power cord into the IEC socket and everything else is done for the. The simpler the set up the less pointless phone calls i receive. Last night I was actualy tinkering with turning a CPU power supply into a charger. They would work good for many reasons....

*100% Fully regulated voltage
*Cool running due to fans
*Will not over charge a battery since they are "amperage on demand" systems. They do not provide power unless it is being used. In other words when your 12v battery hits 12v it stops producing power untill the battery begins to draw due to low voltage again.
*You can get a very wide spectrum of voltage from one unit such as....
14vdc used by 12v chargers & 7vdc used by 6v chargers....

I will be tinkering with this idea today. I have a 12v and a 6v battery hooked to it already gonna see how the charge goes. I will post my findings late tonight or tommorrow. :)

**STORM**
SK Customs
SKCustomsFl@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:09:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Storm

I actualy do use the IEC sockets as well but i contect it to the chargers and secure the chargers inside the PW and hard wire everything in. So my customers just have to plug a power cord into the IEC socket and everything else is done for the. The simpler the set up the less pointless phone calls i receive. Last night I was actualy tinkering with turning a CPU power supply into a charger. They would work good for many reasons....

*Will not over charge a battery since they are "amperage on demand" systems. They do not provide power unless it is being used. In other words when your 12v battery hits 12v it stops producing power untill the battery begins to draw due to low voltage again.

I will be tinkering with this idea today. I have a 12v and a 6v battery hooked to it already gonna see how the charge goes. I will post my findings late tonight or tommorrow. :)

I'll be looking for that! I'd love to be able to use PC power supplies.

(pics link to threads)

Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:12:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CJB

...red lens I found at the surplus store.

Would that happen to be a national store that I might have in my area? I'd like to find some clear lenses.

(pics link to threads)

Go to Top of Page

jfoust
Senior Modder

Atlanta
GA
USA

2419 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Visit jfoust's Homepage
quote:

Looking forward to that too... Would be nice to finally come up with a use for all those old power supplies that I can't seem to convince myself to part with!

Current Fleet:
Super6 Vette, Grave Digger w/ 19T's, Gaucho Grande, Dora Lil Quad, Eliminator w/ 21T's, 12v Harley, Safety 1st C5R

Scrap Pile (email for parts):
High Torque Gaucho, Red PW Jeep
Go to Top of Page

Storm
Journeyman Modder

West Palm Beach
Florida
USA

153 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  09:42:12  Show Profile
I have it working right now with exact voltages needed with only a purchase of a .49 cent 10ohm 10 watt resistor. Batts are charging now. So tonight i will check them with a load meter and see if it did its job.

**STORM**
SK Customs
SKCustomsFl@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:19:42  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jparthum

quote:
Originally posted by CJB

...red lens I found at the surplus store.

Would that happen to be a national store that I might have in my area? I'd like to find some clear lenses.

No, not national. It was called Ax-Man surplus. I'm wondering though if Harbor Freight may carry something like that.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
Journeyman Modder

West Palm Beach
Florida
USA

153 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  18:22:33  Show Profile
Those lenses look like they are from a trailer tow light. If that is the case they are what about 5" in diamater? Go to any local store that sells trailer equipment and get a lense for a reverse light. Should work.

In other news...... THE CPU BATTERY CHARGER WORKS! I am drawing up a diagram and hope to post it later tonight. 29.00 CPU power supply will charge 6v and 12v at the same time with no over charging!

**STORM**
SK Customs
SKCustomsFl@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

CJB
Senior Modder

Lino Lakes
MN
USA

1589 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  19:57:25  Show Profile  Visit CJB's Homepage
Sounds like a breakthrough. I look forward to that diagram.

Go to Top of Page

jparthum
Senior Modder

(77627) Nederland
Texas
USA

2272 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  20:32:52  Show Profile
quote:

Those lenses look like they are from a trailer tow light. If that is the case they are what about 5" in diamater? Go to any local store that sells trailer equipment and get a lense for a reverse light. Should work.

In other news...... THE CPU BATTERY CHARGER WORKS! I am drawing up a diagram and hope to post it later tonight. 29.00 CPU power supply will charge 6v and 12v at the same time with no over charging!

quote:
Originally posted by CJB

Sounds like a breakthrough. I look forward to that diagram.

That sound like it could be an MAJOR breakthrough! I bet everybody in this forum has access to at least one old power supply. Or, like you said, can buy one very cheap.

You may want start a new post. Sounds like this has 'sticky' potential!

(pics link to threads)

Go to Top of Page

Storm
Journeyman Modder

West Palm Beach
Florida
USA

153 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  21:00:06  Show Profile
Its there! lol just finished.. WHEW! is all i can say. lol.. In the Batterys and wireing area. Topic "DUAL VOLTAGE CHARGER!!!!"

**STORM**
SK Customs
SKCustomsFl@aol.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: