These forums are archived!
Please create a new account at our new forums here: http://forum.modifiedpowerwheels.com
ModifiedPowerWheels.com powerwheels upgrades, peg-perego and others very welcome

Specializing in Peg Perego and Power Wheels Parts and Machines
Home | My Files | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | RSS allows you to view new posts anywhere!!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Personal Stuff - Introductions, forsale, reviews!
 Projects Pages! (blogs?)
 Old Skool Red Jeep (1992)
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  22:05:15  Show Profile
Wow this one was exciting !!!

For ONCE I found a power wheels on eBay in my own town if you can believe it, start price was only $20. It came right down to the wire, I had it proxy bidded to $30 and somebody took it to $31 on the very last day, I took some advice from PWMOT and tried out auctionsniper.com, it worked pretty good! I wound up snagging it for $51 with 6 seconds to go.

(I have to tell you... I HATE losing auctions at the last second.. and I HATE doing that to somebody else... however there seems to be no beating them, so one must join them I guess)

But anyhoo the guy selling was happy to hear it was going to a little Mudjaboo, and so here are some pics.

Checking out the wipers...

75.88KB

Breaker 1-9...

81.16KB

71.64KB

Tools in the trunk...

80.71KB

There's those "H" connectors again. However, I am not sure that these are not "good" as per Fisher Price, it seems to me this is what they do is bolt this cover over the two H connectors. On the other hand, I think I read somewhere that for the recall they splice on A connectors instead. I'm not too sure???

(I am going to call them up tomorrow and ... <gloat!> ... see if I can get another $35 outta them heh heh!!)

56.29KB

Oh yeah here we go. A SIXTEEN YEAR OLD jeep looking this fine?? It really doesn't look very sun-bleached at all! No rust on the steel frame underneath, either.

36.46KB

Fixing a little bit of wiring...

64.16KB

Fixing the rally lights...

79.45KB

Windshield folded flat.

81.05KB

Hey thanks for looking! I really don't think I need to do anything to this one. I'll charge up the batteries (sure hope those SC600A chargers show up soon...) and give it a whirl & see if we need gearboxes or something. Looks mighty straight though!

Edited by - Grunchy on 04/30/2008 11:48:04

PW warehouse
Senior Modder

Central
IN
USA

1712 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  04:55:33  Show Profile
That looks like a very nice jeep. Has been well taken care of that is for sure.

According to your tag,it was made 06/15/92.

As for the plug that was suppose to be a quick fix for some of the retailers to be able to sell the inventory that they had on hand. I know toysrus was using them for sure. For sure not the correct way to fix the problem.

Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  06:41:59  Show Profile
those are the recalled "H" connector and they need to be swapped out. take it too a service center and they will do it free.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  11:35:15  Show Profile
Yep, sure enough. I just got off the horn with the Power Wheels line (1-800-348-0751) and they're sending me another EMR/material return form for this connector as well -- so another $35 in the bag.
Woot!
Funny too, this time the lady was quite adamant that the connector was perfectly fine for Canadians, only Americans are not allowed to use the H connectors. So I asked, well, then how come I got the EMR last time? So in the end she said she'll send it right away. It turns out the closest service center is in Regina Saskatchewan, and she was pretty insistent that I had to take it in to that service center to get new connectors spliced in, so I had to gently remind her, there is just no way, I'm not driving that far for a power wheels car. I'll drive across town to pick one up, if it's on the way for another errand, sure -- but not 600 miles!!
??shrug??

Actually she had a good point to make about this topic of changing out your connectors. The point is, if you cut off the Fisher Price connector and lets say hypothetically that you were to put on your own, that's it, they consider themselves absolved of all responsibility from that point on. In other words: you are driving completely at your own risk.

Here's my response: So??! I will make an effort to put on a safe connector in its place. I'll use 12 ga wire minimum and the same 1/4" blade connectors that fisher price used. I have no fear of those connectors burning up, and I'll happily risk my skin with confidence that my connectors are better than the ones they had used. But if Fisher Price wants to recall its connectors, then recall them dagnabit! Don't beat around the bush trying psychological baloney on me; it won't work. Gimme my $35, here's your crappy connectors! Don't do it again!

Sigh..
(yeah so anyway, $16 for a fine lookin' red jeep! Not too shabby eh!)

Edited by - Grunchy on 04/30/2008 11:47:30
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  11:39:43  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Grunchy

Funny too, this time the lady was quite adamant that the connector was perfectly fine for Canadians, only Americans are not allowed to use the H connectors.
American's lives are worth more? Or they are just more likely to sue?

That's like the warning stickers about things that cause cancer in California. It's safe in the rest of the U.S. though.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

gameboy

just north of austin
tx
USA

4796 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  14:36:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Grunchy

Funny too, this time the lady was quite adamant that the connector was perfectly fine for Canadians, only Americans are not allowed to use the H connectors.

i guess canadians have different batteries that dont produce as much current. no wonder you guys are pissed off all the time.

"free is always better"
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  11:38:00  Show Profile
Heh, actually the power wheels lady told me the reason for the differing policy was that, whereas the American government had ordered the recall, the Canadian government never saw fit to, so that was the only reason she figured it wasn't truly necessary in my case (she even said the guy who handled the Lamborghini must have been pretty green). My argument is the company itself should show some leadership & minimum standards and just take care of the problem universally irregardless of geographical location, that simplifies things & says "all kids are equally valuable", which is true. We wound up having a 1/2 hr discussion and fact-finding and not-too-subtle intimation / intimidation that ultimately costs the company MONEY both right now and with future business, because who wants to deal with a company which behaves like that?

But you know, I took the housings apart and the white connectors just don't clamp together tightly, I can see how easily they would vibrate loose and thereby cause arcing and sparking. The housing works well for holding the connectors together firmly; but because the housing isn't compatible with any chargers, it's useless!

Here's the letter she e-mailed me, you'll see the tone is much different than the one I got for the Lamborghini. It's half re-cap of the phone call, half form letter. I guess whoever you get ahold of determines how you will be dealt with: you get the $35 either way, but one way is they get their faulty connector out of all kid's hands permanently, and the other way is they simply take your kids toy away.

As we discussed during our recent telephone conversation, we will provide a refund for your vehicle. The refund amount, which is $35.00, is based on the age of your vehicle. Please enclose a copy of your receipt, if available. Your refund amount will not include shipping and handling costs incurred with purchases through a catalog or on-line service. In order to obtain the refund, it is necessary to provide proof that you will no longer be using the vehicle. Therefore, we ask that you cut the wiring at the point that it enters the battery compartment. The connector end that attaches into the battery must be intact on the wiring section returned (it will be approximately five inches of wire with the connector on one end). If the required part is not returned, we cannot issue your refund check.

If you need help identifying the part to be returned, please call us at 800-348-0751, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, and Saturday 11:00 am to 5:00 pm ET. You may also want to refer to your instructions.

We have attached a pre-paid , traceable United States Postal Service mailing label for the return of your item. The maximum size of the package must be less than 108 inches total. The total is calculated by doubling the package height, plus double the package width plus the length. The length is the longest side of the package. Our mailing label has been sent in PDF format, which can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, you can download it for free at the Adobe website, http://www.adobe.com/.

If you are using Microsoft Outlook Express, there is a security setting that will remove potentially harmful attachments from your e-mail. Doing the following can change this security setting: Click on Tools, then click on Options. Select the Security tab, and uncheck the box next to the security setting. Finally, select the radio button for Internet Zone. Once this option is set to Internet Zone, you should then see the attachment that we sent to you.

To ensure your package is received by us quickly, please take your package to your local post office to receive a round date stamp on your merchandise return mailing acknowledgement or online e-label record (included on bottom half of mailing label).

This confirmation stamp is provided by the postal service at NO COST to you.

Packages dropped at a mail box or collection box are not scanned prior to delivery and may delay the return of your package.

We appreciate this opportunity to assist you.

Please ask the Canada Post Representative to date stamp the area identified at the bottom right hand of this letter and retain this letter as proof of drop off.

Sincerely,

Fisher-Price, Inc.
Consumer Relations

Edited by - Grunchy on 04/30/2008 11:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  22:24:15  Show Profile
I have an update on the jeep!

Here is the new "traction band" I made out of an inner tube.
Actually I haven't tried them out yet & I suspect they will be pretty slick on grass. On the other hand the plastic wheels should last a lot longer & also be quieter on the asphalt. I noticed the tubes while perusing the aisles at Princess Auto (Canadian surplus store), they are size "4.10/3.50-4" whatever that means.

67.73 KB

This here is the tube out of the box. It basically matches the 10" wheels. They cost $4.49 apiece, I picked up 8 for both the Lambo & the Jeep.

50.31 KB

I used some scissors & cut off the valve.

58.41 KB

Then I cut all around the inside of the tube & turned it inside-out. (I figured the inside might look more realistic than the outside). After this it is still too tight to stretch onto the wheels! So I trimmed about 1" off each side and was able to stretch it over, and adjust it a little bit & it looks like the first pic.

58.86 KB

Here's the jeep with the headlights turned on! The lights I had bought for $5.55 on sale (had 22 LEDs each) were just a little too thick to fit inside the lens & just snap back on, plus I broke one of the snaps anyway, so I just siliconed 'em on -- that way they are sealed up pretty good too.

49.49 KB

Headlights off again.

53.77 KB

The new taillights! $5 apiece from Princess Auto. They have 6 really bright LEDs each. They are much brighter than the headlights, but the reason is because the headlights are operating off a 4.5V battery pack with 3 nearly-dead AAA cells in it. The taillights require 8-14 volts and are operating off one of the 6V batteries + the 4.5V battery pack. It takes a DPST switch (dual pole, single throw) to control both circuits, and ever since Radio Shack left Canada I had no idea where to go to get such a switch. Guess what, I found it at the local hole-in-the-wall hardware store!!!! $8.99 though, ouch.

49.84 KB

Here's that DPST toggle switch. The little boy is intensely excited for some night-time fun now!!! I bought a metal case flashlight that takes three 1.5V D-Cells from the dollar store for $3.00 & two sets of (allegedly) Panasonic D-cells for another $2.50, my idea is to modify the flashlight to become a large capacity, sealed 4.5V battery box & mount it behind the dashboard somewhere specifically for running the lights. Woot!

62.52 KB

Thanks for looking!!
Go to Top of Page

wickedways

Northbridge
MA
USA

756 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  00:31:38  Show Profile
Great write-up! That tube looks like a min life preserver! Did you slap any glue on there, if not I'm curios how well they will stay on the tires, let us know and keep the mods coming!

"Saving the landfills, one Power Wheels at a time."
XPWMNE Club President
'98 PW Jeep (not updated)
PW/Peg Jeep Wheelie (not updated)
Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  08:47:00  Show Profile
Yeah the tubes are brutally snug, but I agree, when you're sliding around they could start to slip. But I'm going to try them as-is and if there's a problem, I'll put on some epoxy or something.
Go to Top of Page

swhenrik

Pengilly
MN
USA

4067 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  08:53:20  Show Profile  Visit swhenrik's Homepage
You are worried about the tube slipping no the tire? Cold vulcanizing glue would probably be perfect for holding them in place.

Projects: Jeep, Bigfoot, Lil' Quad, Dora Quad, Dirt Grinder, Nascar, Intro, Ultimate Gaucho
Go to Top of Page

streaker69
Journeyman Modder

Pennsylvania
USA

255 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  08:56:30  Show Profile  Visit streaker69's Homepage
Could you maybe post some video of the jeep running around with those tubes on? I was just thinking of that myself a couple hours ago, looking for tubes to do the exact same trick.

Go to Top of Page

Grunchy
Journeyman Modder

Calgary
Alberta
Canada

146 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  22:16:02  Show Profile
I never did really explain how I hooked up the lights on the jeep, actually it was a pretty nice & cheap solution.

The front lights are made from 22 LED surface lights that run on three AAA batteries (4.5 volts). The back lights are automotive 12V clearance markers that work on any DC supply from 8V to 14V. The car is equipped with two 6V batteries that run independently to the switch. How to make the lights work?

I went to the dollar store & splurged $3 for a metal flashlight that takes three D batteries, plus another $2.50 for a pack of D batteries. The flashlight will be my long, thin, sturdy, weatherproof, high capacity 4.5V battery box that I can stash pretty much anywhere on the car!

Then what I did was I unscrewed the whole flashlight into pieces, and I put a piece of electrical tape on the contact for the light bulb thereby ensuring that the flashlight would no longer turn on and waste power. Then I cut out a little piece of tin can and soldered on a piece of white wire, this became the new +4.5V contact which I taped in place over the light bulb contact with some double-sided tape.

For the negative side I connected a black wire to the flashlight switch. That way if I don't want car lights for whatever reason, I can just turn off the flashlight switch and that turns off the battery box. That's without cutting wires or pulling out batteries or something complicated like that.

I used a DPST switch, that is double-pole, single-throw. That allows me to switch two separate circuits with different voltages: 4.5V to the front lights and 10.5V to the back lights. I got 10.5V by putting the flashlight in series with one of the 6V power wheels batteries. Don't worry, the lighting is all LEDs so it consumes next to no power. And that's what I like about D batteries, each one has the entire power of a bolt of lightning in it -- so they are going to take a long time to run down!

Then I just ran the wires from the lights to the location where the flashlight is going: underneath the seat between the motors!

95.09 KB

I just unsnapped the seat and drilled a couple holes for each zip tie. I ran each zip tie through the two holes, then tied around the flashlight. You can see the white and black wires coming out of the flashlight, they are the +4.5V and 0V wires respectively.

66.54 KB

Here's how the front headlights look:

84.87 KB

And here's how the back taillights look:

95.73 KB

Thanks for looking!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: